Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Meek and stammering [worth reading djf]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 13:41:29 -0400

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=74074&cont%20rassID=2&subContrassID=4&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y

Meek and stammering By Meron Benvenisti
The apocalyptic scenes and depth of the tragedy turn every effort to express something about them - no matter how sincere and noble - into an embarrassing stammer. Nevertheless, people who use the pen, keyboard or microphone can't remain silent: They feel a duty to explain to themselves and to others how, why, and what to do.

It seems that the ultimate test of all our words is what Barbara Olson, who died in the crash into the Pentagon, would say if she could hear us. After all, her last words were: "What should I tell the pilot to do?" - leaving us speechless and filled with humility. Do we have an answer for her? And if we don't, maybe we should simply make do with reciting psalms in her memory and in the memory of the thousands who died. "Out of the depths have I cried unto the, O God. Lord, hear my voice: Let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications." (Psalm CXXX)

<snip>

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/