Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Airline security and bailouts

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 13:35:11 -0400

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:56:56 -0600 (MDT)
From: Deb Olson <deb () laramietravel com>
To: farber () linc cis upenn edu
Subject: Airline security and bailouts

Mr. Farber:

A few things we should consider before we conclude that the
airlines need a government bailout at taxpayer expense.

1. According to an NPR report this morning, the airlines have
fought the FAA tooth and nail, resisting the implementation of more
stringent security measures after the 1988 Pan Am bombing. Why?
Because those measures were "too expensive."

2. Check out the web site

http://www.aflcio.org/cgi-bin/aflcio.pl?tkr=&pg=2#UV?tkr=&pg=2

and visit the sites of a couple of airlines. The compensation levels of
the CEOs of AMR (American) and Delta for the year 2000 are shockingly
high. Consider how many of their employees they could keep on the
payroll if only they weren't so greedy.

3. If we do give taxpayer money to the airlines to reward them for
their negligence, how will the money be spent? Will it be used to keep
the skies safe? If airport security is federalized, as government
officials are now proposing, it won't be. It will merely replace the lost
revenues and portfolio losses of the largest airlines' executives and
directors.

4. If a bailout does occur, which companies will receive it? Will small
airlines and regional carriers receive their fare share of relief money,
so that we are not left with two giant gorillas: American and United?
(Southwest was able to operate 95% of their flights last Sunday with a 97%
on time factor, while United was still struggling with only half of their
scheduled departures in the air on Monday.) And why bail out just the
airlines? What about hotels, car rental agencies, tour operators, travel
agents and other related businesses, all of whom are impacted financially
by the tragic events last week?

I make a living selling airline tickets and travel. There is no doubt that the
economy of our country is threatened by a collapse of our air carriers.  I am
not advocating that we deny all relief for a beleaguered industry, only that it
be designed to benefit the public at large, not the token few sitting at the
top.

I think it is appropriate that each of us send a quick letter to his or her
representatives in Congress asking them not to line the pockets of only the
largest corporations and campaign contributors. If there is a government
bailout,
it should aid all travel-related industries in recovering from last week's
tragic events.

Thanks,
DEB OLSON
Laramie Travel Center
210 So. 2nd
Laramie, Wyoming 82070
307 745-7321/fax 307 745-9216 or 800 845-1683
deb.no-spam-please () laramietravel com
www.laramietravel.com

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/