Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: I lied , here is the LAST LAST one on this -- What you see on CNN is not what you thought -- BBC on CNN

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:41:30 -0400

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:54:22 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
CC: Eric Rosenthal <eric () creative-technology net>,
   Shawn Liu <zabokoch () jiayo net>

On Sep 19, David Farber wrote:

> >Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:54:11 -0400
> >From: Eric Rosenthal <eric () creative-technology net>
> >>
> >>[...]
> >>Well, THOSE IMAGES WERE SHOT BACK IN 1991!!! Those are images of
> >>Palestinians celebrating the invasion of Kuwait! t's simply
> >>unacceptable that a super-power of communications as CNN uses
> >>images which do not correspond to the reality in talking about so
> >>serious of an issue.
> >>[...]
> >>It's simply irresponsible to show images such as those.

Hello.

Quick background -- I'm just a student trying to finish my thesis
which is one reason I cannot allow myself to be subscribed on this
list.  A friend forwarded this message to me, and I just thought I
should not keep quiet on this one.

So, in this email I try to avoid any *opinions*, and generally stay
out of any political discussion.  I just want to point out some facts,
facts that I know first hand because I was in the army (in Israel) in
1988-1991.

The CNN footage I saw included Palestinians in uniform shooting in the
air and everyone being generally pretty happy.  Maybe these are not
the images in question but this is, in my opinion, one case where CNN
did not do harm because this is the way things are.

Now to the facts I do *know*:

1. First of all, in 1991 there weren't enough weapons in the
   Palestinian streets, and in fact, there were no (Palestinian)
   people in military uniform walking around.

2. One thing that the Palestinians did not care much about is the
   invasion of Kuwait.  Back then, the celebrations were a response to
   Scud missiles hitting Tel-Aviv, and Americans/other forces in
   Saudi-Arabia.  (If anyone's memory has faded, the Palestinians were
   clearly and publicly supporters of Saddam Husein.)

3. Another point -- the Palestinian people are not too fond of
   Americans (and again, I'm not getting into any discussion for
   reasons for this), burning an Israeli flag along an American flag
   is pretty common.  If anyone has any illusions that the USA has
   become more popular lately, I can only say again that this is not
   the reality.

4. Finally, I don't know if Eric works at there, but if the BBC does
   have the exact same footage from 1991, then I'm sure that exposing
   such fraud done by CNN will be juicy enough that they will most
   likely do run a story on that.  I expect them to have many reasons
   for exposing such a story and no reason to avoid it, and together
   with many people looking at CNN's broadcasts, I would expect this
   to come out by now.

I don't think that it really matters whether the specific pictures
that you saw on CNN were recent or 10 years old, because I *know* what
the reality is.  Still, if anyone is interested, I can ask friends in
Israel (both Israeli Jews and Israeli Arabs) if this is correct, just
to be sure of things.

Actually, I was surprised to see at least three people (Americans)
being surprised about these images -- not only that I didn't think
this is unusual, it was pretty obvious that such celebrations would
start in the territories.

And one last clarification: I do not think that this is any reason to
hate Palestinians and Arabs, it is simply irrelevant.  I face the
plain reality that the feelings on the Palestinian street is one of
not being fond of America, that nothing justifies celebrating the
death of more than 5000 innocent people but that the Palestinian
reaction is a reaction of masses that are not any meaningful
indication, certainly not any cause for any reaction against people.

--

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/