Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Against hate

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 13:15:13 -0400

From: Herb Schorr <schorr () ISI EDU>
To: "'Robert J. Berger'" <rberger () ultradevices com>, farber () cis upenn edu,
   Herb Schorr <schorr () ISI EDU>
Subject: RE: IP: RE:  Against hate
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:03:56 -0700

SO people have a very short memory or understanding of history, though i am
not a historian.
we essentially were at war with communism for over four decades. In that war
we started the Truman doctrine to prevent Greece and Turkey from falling
under communist domination; we fought in Korea etc. People seem to forget
that the TAliban were opposing a communist takeover of Afghanistan. In
hindsight, maybe it didnt matter and perhaps the communist rulers in
Afghanistan would have gone away with the end of the cold war and certainly
we are living with the consequences of our tactical actions in arming and
training the Taliban. Ditto for Iraq vs Iran and maybe the answer should be
we dont ally with dictatorships.

Well then think about the second world war: both Russia and China should
then have been left to possibly fall to Hitler and the Japanese
respectively. Both of these countries bore the brunt of the fighting until
we could arm and train ourselves so that we could be a signifcant factor in
the fighting; our role was to supply large amounts of munitions and foods to
both of these countries (does this role appear familiar ?)

Now Ive never heard anyone argue we shouldnt have aided the Soviets and the
Kuomintang in the second world war; there was a good chance that Hitler
would have beaten the Soviets without our help; and maybe we shouldnt have
aided the British via lendlease because they were an obvious imperial power
subjugating many peoples.
So basically the problem is that war makes strange bedfellows and very often
one has to choose between what appears to be the best of your options at the
time and yes there are consequences down the road for supporting unsavory
regimes.

Stopping the flow of money doesnt involve warfare, just trying to make
certain  countries come up to responsible behavior rather than look for
profit.

Finally i suggest reading Tom Friedman's book entitled the "Lexus and the
olive tree" to get a little more sophisticated view of whats going on. Or
read his article a few days ago in the NY Times: to paraphrase it.. two
strains in Islam today the modernists who believe we (Western democracy)
offer a better life (ie would you like to be a woman in a traditionalist
Islamic society?) vs the traditionists who oppose any attempts to move the
mass of people out of their misery if it means changes to traditional
society in any way.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/