Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re NIPC DDOS Warning

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:47:10 -0400

Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:41:28 -0600
From: Sean Reifschneider <jafo () tummy com>
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Robert Cannon <rcannon100 () yahoo com>, efm () tummy com
Subject: Re: IP: NIPC DDOS Warning

>We may be under a DDOS.  You may wish to post this:

It's actually something similar to the Code Red worm.  This one however
seems to make an average of around 10 HTTP connections per attack attempt
compared to Code Red's one HTTP connection, which right away means that
it's likely to be an order of magnitude worse than the original Code Red.

It uses an attack profile very similar, most attacks come from network
addresses that are at least somewhat similar to your address.  So, it may
be a straight variant, but I don't have information to prove it one way or
another.

So, it's kind of a DDoS in that it is pounding the net pretty hard, but
it's also a worm.  It's actually pounding *EVERYONE* pretty hard, whereas a
traditional DDoS would be hitting one or a few places.

http://slashdot.org/ has some coverage of it so far.  From looking at our
logs, it *JUST STARTED* at around 7am.  No gradual ramp-up, our line just
started getting pounded by about a 35KB/sec load, and it's currently up to
around 60KB/sec.

Sean
--
 "If all you have is a hammer, every problem tends to look like a nail."
Sean Reifschneider, Inimitably Superfluous <jafo () tummy com>

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/