Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: 1929 Radio / 2001 Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:42:29 -0400

Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:34:43 -0400
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
From: Jock Gill <jgill () penfield-gill com>
Subject: 1929 Radio / 2001 Internet

Dave,

I wonder what IP thinks?

One of the things I am wonder about is what sort of effect is the Internet having on the national approach to the terrible situation in NYC & Washington? Is it re-in forcing the hate and revenge approach or is it moderating it? How does the tone and content of the Internet differ from the tone and content of the main stream media?

Oddly enough, in 1929, the year of the market crash, radio had reached about 50% of American homes. In 2001 the Internet has also reached, as I understand it, about 50% of American homes. In 1929 it was ALL one way media all the time. In 2001 it is multi-way Internet and the old one way media. I wonder if history will show that the ability of the people to communicate with each other via the Internet, and to share information not in the "official" media, made a difference?

Regards,

Jock

Jonathan P. Gill
Principal