Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: We need the courage to look beyond abstractions

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 17:21:32 -0400

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 16:57:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Andy Oram <andyo () oreilly com>
To: dave () farber net
Subject: We need the courage to look beyond abstractions

The horror that began September 11 called upon each
individual to make a statement. We all had to speak to
ourselves, to our family members, or to anyone who would
listen. I myself had to discuss with my children why my aunt
by marriage died in a plane hitting the World Trade Center
(answer: I don't know why). I have read many other excellent
statements on politics and society before writing my own.

We don't know the psychology of the people who destroyed the
World Trade Center, but we know that they forged their plan
around an abstraction. Whatever world view they possessed,
the World Trade Center was just a symbol within it, and the
presence of 50,000 people in that building was just a factor
in its symbolic value. And we know this kind of sickness is
nothing new; it has been criticized by thousands of authors
before. The Jews were an abstraction in Hitler's plan,
millions died in the Soviet Union to serve an abstract goal,
and the residents of Hiroshima and Nagasaki became reduced
to an abstraction during American calculations to end World
War II.

So I cannot sit here and write a grand sociological
treatise; I will not paint abstractions of the world's
political landscape. I hereby pledge to bring reality into
every discussion in which I participate. So it is time for
the U.S. to relinquish some destructive abstractions of its
own.

Our dominant abstraction is the rosy spectacles of
neoliberal capitalism. In this view, international capital
flows to countries that most closely follow the virtues laid
out in glossy journals. The brilliant entrepreneur is
rewarded in the mechanical turnings of a well-tuned market,
while governments discreetly get out of the way. Although
this entrepreneur is usually light-skinned, diversity
thrives within institutions because an enlightened
management recognizes the need for a global reach. Science
ensures a plentiful supply of energy and food.

What will happen if we all pledge to view reality instead of
our pleasing abstraction?

* When reformers reveal the cronyism and corruption that lie
  behind major business deals, we will organize them into a
  fighting force instead of talking up the healing power of
  international financial flows (and refusing to say whom
  Vice President Cheney met with the previous month).

* When laborers complain that they need two or three jobs to
  pay the rent, and millions cry out that they have to
  struggle to get each meal, we will demand higher wages
  instead of telling them to wait for a restructuring of the
  regional economy.

* We will no longer ignore the terror of disease that stalks
  entire subcontinents, or the devastation of earth and
  water, or the plight of those living by rising seas, and
  we will provide some response besides, "Don't put barriers
  in front of commercial development."

I need say no more; the rest can be found in position papers
in every language. What blinds us from action is the triumph
of our abstraction. It has already claimed its share of
victims. During the Cold War it left a trail of bodies from
Guatemala to East Timor. Ironically, our government thought
it would just be unbelievably clever to land a blow against
the Soviet Union by supporting the Taliban and Osama bin
Laden in Afghanistan. Thus, our government's last battle
against the distorted remnants of the liberatory impulse
behind the 1917 revolution led to grotesque casualties here
at home.

Perhaps the recognition of how firmly we have lived in the
grip of this abstraction will help us to understand how
other people could fall murderously under the sway of a
different one.

Andy Oram  O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.        email: andyo () oreilly com
Editor     90 Sherman Street                     voice: (617) 499-7479
           Cambridge, MA 02140-3233                fax: (617) 661-1116
           USA                          http://www.oreilly.com/~andyo/
Stories at Web site:
The Bug in the Seven Modules     Code the Obscure     The Disconnected

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/