Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: CUNY condemns professors

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 10:31:21 -0400

From: "Gerry Faulhaber" <gerry-faulhaber () home com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

I would like to respectfully disagree with my esteemed colleague, Professor
Kobrin.  I too remember HUAC, and even worse the support that HUAC enjoyed
among the American people.  I never want to return to that state of affairs.

And this incident, in which the Chancellor and Trustees of CUNY strongly
condemned the statements of some faculty at a teach-in on the causes of the
terrorist strike is in fact between two private parties, Chancellor and
professors, in a dispute, and an academic dispute at that.  The government
is not a party to this.  I certainly support the right of professors to make
asses of themselves (done it enough myself;-), but I think the Chancellor
gets to weigh in with his/her views on this.  They are strong views, but
then so are the professors' views strong.  And this is taking place within
the environment of academic freedom.  Seems to me the Chancellor has the
same freedom as the professors.  My only beef with the Chancellor's
statement was his/her churlish invitation to the professors to "take a
hike," which is a not-so-veiled threat to use his/her bosses' power to
punish the self-indicted asses.  This wasn't necessary and seems
counter-productive to his/her case.  But then, maybe the Chancellor should
be allowed to make an ass of himself as well.

Again, this is not the government imposing thought control; these are
private parties engaged in a vituperative argument over ideas.  There is a
huge difference.

Gerald Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Department
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadephia, PA 19104

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/