Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: CUNY condemns professors

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 10:01:19 -0400

From: Kobrin <KobrinS () wharton upenn edu>
To: "Dave Farber (E-mail)" <farber () cis upenn edu>

TRUSTEES OF THE CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK have drafted a
   resolution condemning professors who criticized U.S. foreign
   policy at a teach-in earlier this week. Matthew Goldstein,
   the university's chancellor, also issued a statement saying
   the professors had offered "lame excuses" to justify the
   September 11 terrorist attacks.
   --> SEE http://chronicle.com/free/2001/10/2001100502n.htm

While some  comments about the events of September 11th have ignored the
tragedy and just focused on perceived American responsibility, we either
have the academic freedom to discuss this openly or we do not.  We are
getting close to the point where any one who raises questions about American
policy before September 11th is seen as providing support and comfort to the
terrorists.  I have seen the term "fellow travelers" in use again.  Those of
us of a certain age well remember a time when major American universities
fired tenured faculty for wrong thinking, going to the wrong meetings or
"fellow traveling."

During most of the Cold War, perceived threats were abstract rather than
real.  I suspect that most Americans were not continually concerned about a
possible nuclear attack on their city. This time around the threat is very
real and, in fact, we have been attacked.  The freedom to speak one's mind,
and especially to voice unpopular opinions will be even harder to maintain
in this current climate.  I fear that if we are not vigilant, we may well
look back on HUAC as relatively benign.

Stephen Kobrin

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/