Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: SLEW OF SUPREME COURT CASES TO FOCUS ON '96 TELECOM LAW

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 09:05:23 -0400

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note:  This comment comes from reader Tim Pozar.  DLH]

From: Tim Pozar <pozar () lns com>
To: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: Re: SLEW OF SUPREME COURT CASES TO FOCUS ON '96 TELECOM LAW
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 17:01:24 -0700

I very much wish I could be party to some of these cases and see
if we can strike down the de-regulation of the broadcast industry
with this Act.

With the Telecom Act of '96 and ownership de-regulation, radio
stations have been bought up so fast that prices for licenses have
sky-rocketed 1,000% in the last decade.  Debt service on these
purchases have trimmed back staff to the bare bones and limit
stations to the lowest common denominator of programming of formats.
"Radical" syndicated programming such as Howard Stern or Rush is
far cheaper to run and draws more "ears" than local programming.
Innovation is out of favor as corporations need to address safe
bets to keep their stock at over-inflated levels.

The Telecom Act of 96 also struck the last nail in to the coffin
so that the spectrum is not used as a public resource any longer.
Public access and responsibility such as the quarterly community
ascertainment reports or even just news coverage are out the window.

And it isn't the commercial stations that have been affected.  With
a number of FCC policy missives "underwriting" announcements have
turn into a cash cow for non-commercial stations.  Underwriting
announcements were originally designed to disclose bias or other
interests in the production of a program.  Now they are being treated
exactly like commercials on licenses that are required not to run
commercials.  At this rate the 4MHz of non-commercial spectrum out
of the 20Mhz of FM spectrum should be taken back and open up to all
broadcasters.

Hrumph...

Tim

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/