Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Philip Wilcox on U.S. strategic response to terrorism

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 08:20:22 -0400

From: "C. M. Colee" <cmcolee () iadfw net>
To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/14636

The New York Review of Books
October 18, 2001
The Terror
By Philip C. Wilcox Jr.
The author, a retired US Foreign Service officer, served as US Ambassador at
Large for Counterterrorism between 1994 and 1997.

<snip>
But on the rare occasions that the US has tried to carry out military
attacks on terrorist targets, the attacks have failed or backfired. The US
bombing of Tripoli in 1986, after a Libyan terrorist attack on Americans in
Germany, killed dozens of Libyan civilians. Qaddhafi struck back in 1988 by
bombing Pan American Flight 103, killing 270 people. Also, US cruise missile
attacks on targets in Sudan and Afghanistan after the bombing of American
embassies in East Africa in 1998 had no discernible effect on terrorism and
provoked widespread international criticism.

In contrast to Bush's civilian hawks, many American military officers are
skeptical about using military force against terrorists. They point out that
a target like Bin Laden, who is thought to be hiding in the mountains of
Afghanistan, probably could not be hit from the air and that his physical
"infrastructure" is negligible. Moreover, abducting or killing him with US
ground forces, especially in such a remote and hostile environment, presents
grave intelligence as well as tactical and logistical challenges. A better
approach would be a concerted international effort, with carefully
calculated pressures and incentives-and cooperation from Pakistan, which is
essential-to persuade Bin Laden's Taliban hosts to hand him over for trial.
He is already under a previous US indictment. Bombing the Taliban to make
them give up Bin Laden might kill innocents and would probably fail.

<snip>

The US must also realize that, notwithstanding our great power, indeed
because of it, we cannot dictate respect and cooperation. Other nations will
not fully help us in combating terrorism, whatever pressures we apply,
unless we are sensitive to their legitimate interests and are willing to
reciprocate. Certainly the US should reappraise its policies concerning the
Israeli-Palestinian conflict and Iraq, which have bred deep anger against
America in the Arab and Islamic world, where much terrorism originates and
whose cooperation is now more critical than ever. We can do all this without
abandoning our basic commitments, including to the security of Israel.

We should also search for ways to strengthen the common bonds between
Western values and Islam to combat the notion of a "clash of civilizations"
and to weaken the Islamist extremist fringe that hates the West and supports
terrorist actions. Such new departures in US foreign policy would require
devoting far greater resources to support a more engaged, cooperative, and
influential American role abroad. Redefining national security and
counterterrorism in this broader sense is the most promising way to fight
the war against terrorism. It is vital that we do this soon, now that the
stakes have been raised so high.

eom

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/