Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The Limits of Military Action

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 06:22:17 -0400

From: "Fred Bothwell" <fredboth () texas net>
To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>

Input from a member of the West Point Class of '89 - Maj. John Burgess, a student at Leavenworth -commenting on an article in the current Atlantic Monthly about the U.S. Army in Bosnia. See <http://forum.theatlantic.com/WebX?.ee7154d>http://forum.theatlantic.com/WebX?.ee7154d

Global Stability... the War on Terrorism

As a soldier (and I am not speaking as a representative of the Army), I see the author's most telling remark concerning these peace keeping and other Military Operations Other Than War (MOOTW) in his simple statement: "as long as the United States remains a great power with an interest in global stability, the military will continue to get similar jobs."

If recent events haven't crystallized the fact that global stability is a national interest for the United States... then I don't know what will. History is rife with examples of radical extremist leaders who gained support and power in places that were plagued with instability. Hitler took advantage of a "punished" and "isolated" Germany after WW I, and Osama bin Laden has done the same in a decimated Afghanistan after a decade of destruction in their war against Soviet aggression. These people cannot operate openly and successfully in stable societies where people have moved up Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

Where we often fail is in assuming that the military alone can restore stability to these places. We can certainly restore a certain amount of order and security through the use or threat of military force and violence, but that is only one of three critical conditions necessary for building real, lasting stability. It takes a far greater effort in the use of other instruments of power to build true stability in these places.

The other two conditions required to build real and sustainable stability are:

(1) Popular Will. Once a certain amount of forced security and order are restored, the people or population must have the desire and discipline to build a lasting stability. They must buy into the concept that further violence and conflict will only lead to more instability. They must be willing to work to build a productive society.

(2) Resources. This is more than food and money; it includes education, infrastructure, government, and everything that makes a society productive and stable. If you provide this without the other two requirements (security and popular will), you may as well just throw it away.

Some of the common mistakes we have made in trying to bring about stability throughout history are...

- Providing resources without restoring security and order.

- Attempting to restore security and order without the popular will of the people.

- Restoring security and order, gaining popular will, but then leaving without providing the resources.

Ultimately, success in restoring stability to these places is a function of how well we blend and synchronize those three elements... security, popular will and resources; and it doesn't happen overnight. Sometimes it takes years to get the popular will where it needs to be, before the resources can be effectively applied. It is more difficult to establish security and order without some amount of popular will. All of this can be quite costly in terms of our national instruments of power - diplomatic, economic, military and informational.

You may ask... what's the use or benefit when what happens in these places has little impact on life here in the United States? I would argue that it does have an impact... most recently on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon and the thousands of lives affected by those incidents. The United States cannot be challenged in conventional terms... we are too big, too strong and have no peers right now. The result is that we will be attacked in unconventional ways. We must be able to secure and defend out national interests against both threats. Creating and building global stability is the best strategy to fight these unconventional threats - ultimately, it removes environments where these radical extremist leaders (terrorists) can exist and operate effectively.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/