Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Iridium wants to provide real time airline "Black Box"services

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 12:58:44 -0400

BTW when I said

As a pilot also, is this person right.

Dave
 I meant to put !!!! after the word right

As a pilot also, is this person right!!!!!

(makes a difference)

Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 12:51:09 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Mikki Barry <ooblick () netpolicy com>

Unfortunately, s/he is absolutely correct. And the regulations are even more idiotic than that in many case. I am a part-time flight instructor in the DC area who is currently grounded. I have had to brush up on "intercept procedures" in case an F-16 decides that I am doing something it doesn't like. If I do not comply with these procedures (which would be difficult while staring at sidewinder missiles), I will be shot down. It is more likely than not that this would result in the death of all on board.

As a pilot, you must contact Flight Services in order to receive all relevant "notams" (notices to airmen) prior to most flights. The notams must be complied with or there could be administrative action taken against you regarding your privilege to fly. Suddenly, this has been changed and the penalty can be execution.

While all pilots do their best to comply with all notams, resetricted areas, prohibited areas, military operations areas, and stages of airspace (each having a different restriction), it is very difficult for us to comply when they change on a daily basis. For example, the prohibited area above Camp David changes almost daily as to its size. We are also required to avoid all "sporting events and outdoor gatherings" by staying at least 3 miles away. Of course, most small, low flying planes can't tell whether something is a sporting event or outdoor gathering until they are almost on top of it. The latest notam tells us to stay away out of "close proximity" to the 25 nm "no fly zones" around DC and NYC. Of course, "close proximity" is not defined, therefore we don't know if that means 2 miles or 100 feet. These notams confuse me, a 1500 hour commercially rated multi engine flight instructor. Imagine what they are like for a student pilot!

Within the "no fly zones," only part 91 operators are prohibited from flying. Part 91 is generally private aircraft that are not for hire by others. This includes flight instruction, private trips, commercial pilots flying private aircraft, corporate jets, crop dusters, and others. However, part 135 is authorized. Part 135 includes air taxi services using aircraft as small as single engine four seaters, or up to chartered 777 aircraft. They fly out of many different airports, including those with NO FAA security whatsoever. Yet because they are being paid to fly, they are allowed to fly in these zones that I am prohibited from.

Further, all aircraft that were located at airports within the "no fly zones" on 9/11 are still there. Nobody is allowed to remove their aircraft from the 25 nautical mile areas, and take them to other airports outside the zone. Only aircraft based at Washington National were allowed to exit. Each one was screened through security, sharp objects like tweezers and leathermen tools (used to fix in flight problems) was taken from them. Very strange when you consider that they were not allowed to carry passengers, and most were flying solo (unless more than one pilot was required by FAA regulations for that particular aircraft). Other "flush times" were organized for last weekend for my particular airport out of Gaithersburg, Maryland but cancelled once the NSC found out that most of the pilots actually wanted out and wanted to relocate their aircraft to places where they could be utilized. There is another possibly scheduled for this weekend, but no procedures have been officially published yet. Given that there are 41,000 pilots currently trapped in these zones, we are hoping that air traffic control can handle all of us since we are all required to file flight plans (which is something new...under visual flight rules, one could often go from place to place without a plan if they avoid all restricted airspace).

Most pilots that I know have no problem complying with even highly restrictive procedures, so long as we know that they are for a good purpose. In these cases, there is no security purpose that most of us can see. Faster, heavier airplanes that can carry far more are allowed to operate in these zones simply because an unscreened passenger who has gone through no security procedures has hired them. Meantime, certain airports have been exempted from the "no fly" requirements for no apparent reason other than they have special interests operating from them. These include White Plains, New York, and Leesburg and Manassas, VA. From these airports, part 91 operators may operate under instrument conditions. Whether students can fly supervised solos under visual conditions is unclear. Certificated pilots cannot.

While many have said that flight restrictions are necessary for security purposes, and those of us who are inconvenienced are merely whiners, there are significant implications for the American economy, for real security, and for civil liberties. What they are doing for flight they may do for driving. The precedent for restricting transportation on the grounds of unstated security interests has been set. And it affects us all.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/