Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Iridium wants to provide real time airline "Black Box"services

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 11:55:35 -0400

As a pilot also, is this person right.

Dave

Dave -- if you choose to distribute this, please post this without attribution. I'm a well-known public figure in my community, and am not interested in attracting the special attention of the local FAA office.

--

A short response regarding real-time monitoring of the cockpit on commercial airliners.

How would you like to have your every move in the workplace subject to monitoring and recording by the Feds? Remember that personal photocopy you made last year? It's all on tape if your manager or the authorities choose to use it. If we want our commercial pilots to be smart, decisive and proactive, we need a workplace that appeals to that sort of person.

Further, with the arcane and conflicting net of regulations surrounding aviation, minor violations of the rules happen regularly. Here's an example _right now_ of the thinking that goes into aviation regulation in the US: the FAA has put in place special regulations prohibiting flight under visual rules around large cities. That means that I, an instrument rated private pilot with hundreds of hours of flight experience, am not allowed to fly under visual rules from the airport near my house. However, the same rules allow a _student pilot_, with 20-30 hours of experience, to fly under visual rules from the same airport. Even the student's instructor, who has hundreds of hours of experience and a commercial ticket, is not allowed to fly under visual rules without a student on board. It's crazy.

Finally, many observers of the regulatory enforcement process would say that the FAA is arbitrary in its enforcement of the regulations; this would put the sword over every commercial pilot's neck at the discretion of the FAA enforcers.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/