Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Russia Prepares 1-Million Man Army for Afghanistan -

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:08:42 -0500

I have found DEBKA to be somewhat flaky in their stuff in that they seem to create grand illusions which don't happen. But you never know so read at own risk and be hesitant to believe they are reporting fact LTBB

Dave

From: "RV Head" <4whp () home com>

A report from DEBKA does not carry the cachet of a Washington Post
exclusive, but this does make sense (though I don't know why they seem so
dismissive of Turkey):

> http://www.debka.com/
>
> Russia Prepares 1-Million Man Army for Afghanistan -
> A DEBKAfile Exclusive
>
> 29 October:  The shape of the governments-to-be of Afghanistan and Iraq -
"when
> the war is over" - seems to be uppermost in the minds of the US-led
alliance
> engaged in the war against world terrorism. This may be a useful academic
> exercise, but while it is in process, the war itself shows strong signs of
> running out of steam.

<snip>

> America's deficiency of ground forces for combating terrorism is the
direct
> outcome oft the collapse of the international anti-terror coalition
doctrine.
> The diplomacy employed by US secretary of state Colin Powell to muster
this
> coalition stripped the United States of the fighting strength needed for
the
> campaign itself. The four nations with the right kind of fighting strength
are
> India, Taiwan, Israel and Turkey. The first three had to be counted out,
while
> Turkey was only retained as a pro-American reserve for securing the
> Turkish-Iraqi frontier and standing by in case anti-US turbulence got out
of
> hand in Central Asia and Pakistan.
>
> Therefore, Washington has painted itself into a corner with only two
> Declaring a military call up at home - partial, then full conscription,
with
> all the political hazards entailed, or turning to the only other power
which
> commands a substantial military force, whose enlistment will not
jeopardize US
> long term goals - Russia.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/