Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: educating the public about risk and uncertainty

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 06:49:54 -0500

Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 17:40:49 -0600
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
From: Benjamin Kuipers <kuipers () cs utexas edu>

Dave,

How should the government and the press inform the public about ongoing
terrorist threats?  As we have seen in the anthrax crisis,
 - it may take time to know whether an attack is taking place at all,
 - there are best-case and worst-case scenarios,
 - the public has the right to know that appropriate action is being taken,
   and the right to question and comment on those actions,
 - our understanding of the situation changes with time,
 - individuals want to know how they can help and how to protect themselves,
 - individuals want to know how much risk they face,
 - the public wants to know how much risk our society faces,
 - the public wants to know who is responsible.

We have also seen that frantic and fear-driven responses can have far
more impact on our society than the actual attack.

Can we devise a clear, standard way to communicate our evolving
understanding of uncertain and risky situations?

There will be more threats, more attacks, and more damage in the future.
We need to be prepared to inform the public properly.

A presentation of risk requires probabilities, but those numbers are
meaningless unless calibrated against a standard spectrum of risks
that people are familiar with, for example the risks of (a) crossing
a busy street at a traffic light, (b) driving 100 miles on an
Interstate highway, or (c) motorcycling the same 100 miles.
(There are undoubtedly better examples to choose.)  Uncertainty and the
changing state of knowledge require not just probabilities, but ranges
of probabilities.

These are sophisticated concepts.  To learn to understand them,
people will need repeated exposure to information in the same format,
and explicit education.  This has been done with reasonable success
with information like nutrition labels on foods, and with polling
information in Newsweek and USA Today.

The tactic of terrorism is to create terror.  Fear, and the impact of
fear, is often all out of proportion to the actual danger and destruction
caused by the act itself.  Trustworthy knowledge fights terror, even
in the face of real dangers.

The American public has the right to expect straight information.  It
also has the collective intelligence to use this information, if it is
presented with clarity and integrity.  We have fallen short during the
anthrax crisis, but we could be prepared for the next one.

The IP list includes some people well qualified to design such a
presentation (a difficult task, to create a simple presentation of
complex and sophisticated information!).  It includes others who are
in a position to put it into use.

Knowledge is power.  It prevents panic and encourages right action.
Arm our citizens with knowledge.

Best wishes,

Ben Kuipers

Benjamin Kuipers, Professor         email:  kuipers () cs utexas edu
Computer Sciences Department        tel:    1-512-471-9561
University of Texas at Austin       fax:    1-512-471-8885
Austin, Texas 78712 USA             http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kuipers

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/