Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: John Dean: 'Liberties lost: unintended consequences of the anti-terror law'

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 06:16:20 -0500

http://www.msnbc.com/news/648339.asp?0dm=C13UO

Law and Order
John Dean: 'Liberties lost: unintended consequences of the anti-terror law'
Posted on Sunday, October 28 @ 08:47:15 EST
By John W. Dean, MSNBC

When President Bush signed the sweeping new anti-terrorism legislation into
a law, providing federal law enforcement officials with powerful new weapons
to more effectively fight terrorism, he proved Supreme Court Justice Sandra
Day O'Connor prescient. A little less than a month earlier, Justice O'Connor
advised a law school audience in Manhattan that as part of the country's
response to terrorism, "we're likely to experience more restrictions on our
personal freedom than has ever been the case in our country."

While this new anti-terrorism law was certainly not designed to take away
civil liberties of Americans, its unintended consequences threaten
fundamental constitutional rights of people who have nothing to do with
terrorism. The well-meaning but careless exuberance of our lawmakers is
alarming.

A 'HIGH-FLYING ACRONYM'

More attention appears to have been given finding a title for the new law
than the substance of its provisions. The "Uniting and Strengthening America
by Providing Appropriate Tools Required To Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism
Act," as Rep. Barney Frank, Democrat of Massachusetts, noted during the
House debate, is a truly "high-flying acronym, it is the PATRIOT bill, it is
the USA bill, it is the stand up and sing the 'Star Spangled Banner' bill."

It is also a law, Frank lamented, that was processed by Congress "in the
most undemocratic way possible, and it is not worthy of this institution."

No hearings were held in either the House or Senate on the USA PATRIOT Act,
and few -- if any -- members of Congress were really aware of what was
actually in this massive, complex, highly technical 30,000-word statute,
which is divided into ten titles, with more than 270 sections and endless
subsections that cross-reference and amend a dozen, or more, different laws.

There is a concept in the legislative process called "regular order." It is
the time- tested procedure to make certain that our laws are carefully
considered. The USA PATRIOT Act was jammed through the House and Senate,
with those calling for regular order being labeled unpatriotic. In fact, the
66 Republicans and Democrats in the House and the one member of the Senate
who refused to be railroaded believed that law enforcement officials should
have the tools needed to fight terrorists, but they should not be created at
the expense of basic American freedoms.

<snip>

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/