Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: IP: ICANN's new role: It's about keeping people from being killed by terrorist plots hatched over the net says Mike Roberts

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 18:15:24 -0500

For those of you who don't know Karl, he is a member of the Board of Directors of ICANN.

Dave

Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 16:12:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>

Unlike Mr. Roberts, I have not surrendered my principles to the terrorists
who so heinously attacked our democratic nation last month.

ICANN is a body in serious need of reform.  And I reject Mr. Roberts
assertion that in order to fight terrorism we must either love ICANN or
leave it, that those of us who criticise ICANN's form or acts must shut-up
and unquestioningly accept whatever is handed down to us.

I would suggest that the mediaeval mentality embodied in Mr. Roberts
statement is more likely to sew dragons' teeth that will sprout as further
hostility against our modern society.

With respect to the security of the Internet, ICANN is more in the
position of an observer than a player.  Yet despite its somewhat
peripheral role, ICANN has taken a respite from its three year quest to
elevate intellectual property and avoid public accountability:  ICANN is
substituting its annual meeting with an event that promises to be a three
day long chaperoned love-in about the security of the Internet's Domain
Name System.

To facilitate that discussion I have written a short note on some steps
that I believe that ICANN could take, consistent with its charter, to
protect DNS: http://www.cavebear.com/rw/steps-to-protect-dns.htm

                --karl--

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/