Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Oil, Afghanistan and America's pipe dream -- note this comes from Paristan

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 21:01:04 -0400

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:30:42 -0400
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Subject: Oil, Afghanistan and America's pipe dream

Dave - I thought you and the IPers might enjoy a current Pakistani perspective on America's interests and goals beyond halting terrorism based in Afghanistan. It certainly might explain why Cheney is remaining invisible.

>From Dawn - The Internet Version (Pakistani newspaper)

http://www.dawn.com/2001/10/25/int15.htm

Oil, Afghanistan and America's pipe dream
By George Monbiot

LONDON: "Is there any man, is there any woman, let me say any child here," Woodrow Wilson asked a year after the First World War ended, "that does not know that the seed of war in the modern world is industrial and commercial rivalry?"

In 1919, as US citizens watched a shredded Europe scraping up its own remains, the answer may well have been no. But the lessons of war never last for long.

The invasion of Afghanistan is certainly a campaign against terrorism, but it may also be a late colonial adventure. British ministers have warned British members of parliament (MPs) that opposing the war is the moral equivalent of appeasing Hitler, but in some respects our moral choices are closer to those of 1956 than those of 1938. Afghanistan is as indispensable to the regional control and transport of oil in central Asia as Egypt was in the Middle East.

Afghanistan has some oil and gas of its own, but not enough to qualify as a major strategic concern. Its northern neighbours, by contrast, contain reserves which could be critical to future global supply. In 1998, Dick Cheney, now US vice-president but then chief executive of a major oil services company, remarked: "I cannot think of a time when we have had a region emerge as suddenly to become as strategically significant as the Caspian." But the oil and gas there is worthless until it is moved. The only route which makes both political and economic sense is through Afghanistan.

<snip>

- David
WWW Page: http://www.reed.com/dpr.html

For archives see: