Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: READ IT Why the world needs America to cheer up: From the London times

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 17:56:18 -0400

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,258-2001371237,00.html

ANATOLE KALETSKY Is America winning the war against terrorism? This question is impossible to answer with regard to the situation in Afghanistan — at least from thousands of miles away with no knowledge of the military plans whose details allied leaders are understandably keeping secret. On the home front, however, the answer is quite clear. To judge by the atmosphere on the streets and around the dinner tables of New York, the US war effort seems to be in serious trouble.

In saying this I do not imply that support for the anti-terrorist campaign or for President Bush is flagging. On the contrary, Mr Bush is universally popular, even among hard-core Democrats. New York’s cars and taxis are festooned with American flags. Shops display defiant slogans in their windows. A walk through Manhattan has become a tragic pilgrimage between makeshift shrines for dead friends and heart-rending prayers from children for their missing parents. But there was nothing mawkish or self-pitying about the unusual solemnity that struck me, wherever I went in New York.
Neither does
<snip>

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/