Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: two on Re: Good Question re Experts explain terrorist training

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:55:12 -0400

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:51:20 -0400
From: Matthew Snyder <matthew () pobox com>
To: aaronb () cis upenn edu, farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: Good Question  re  Experts explain terrorist training
Sender: matthew () analog rightbox com

David Farber writes:
> CC me with any answer
>
> >Prof Farber,
> >
> > Can you (or anybody on the IP list) recommend good books on understanding
> >the cult mentality (their psychological mind control, etc.)?

Not surprisingly, Penn has an expert on what you call the ``cult
mentality.''  Stephen Dunning teaches in the department of
Religious Studies -- more specifically, he teaches a course
specifically on cults called ``Understanding the cult
controversy.''

I'm sure he'd be happy to provide a reading list.  You can contact
him at sdunning () ccat sas upenn edu or visit his website at
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/snd/sdunning.html

I read _Combatting Cult Mind Control_ and didn't find it especially
helpful, personally.  But I unfortunately can't provide a better
recommendation.

Matthew