Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re Additive Made Spores Deadlier -- then there was 1

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:43:00 -0400

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:00:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: jcp <jcp () ns2 jcphome com>

I would be careful about believing this.  There are many compounds that are
treated with chemical agents to increase dispersal in air.  It might well be
true that only the bio-war programs of 3 countries do this sort of thing (or did it) with live spores in the past, but there isnt a great deal of secrecy around almost any chemical process, and many such processes have innocuous industrial
applications.  That there's some magic chemistry that only 3 countries know
about (especially if one of them is *Iraq*), seems hard to believe. After all,
how did they find out about it?

[ SIDE, THE PRESS is very biased toward people who give real out of the box quotes and the USG seems either not to be able to or is unwilling to give the public the facts. Guess that the way it is djf]

This is the same sort of "expert opinion" we heard about the alleged nerve gas
plant in Sudan.  I'd be less skeptical if I knew who the unnamed expert was.

  -jcp-

PS: so if this *was* done, were the spores "weaponized" or not?  Inquiring
minds...

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/