Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Powell Outlines FCC Reform

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:51:08 -0400

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note:  I'll post more on this later.  DLH]

Powell Outlines FCC Reform
Allyson Vaughan
October 23, 2001
<http://article.WirelessWeek.com/UM/T.ASP?A3.3.349.3.460395446>

FCC Chairman Michael Powell outlined the commission's reform plans today, including a review of third-generation spectrum allocation policy in the next six months. Among the other initiatives, which cover wireless, broadcasting and other telecom policy reviews, Powell pledged to examine homeland security issues, such as improved network access in emergencies. Short on specifics, Powell says the initiatives will be part of a long-term policy review. Whether such reviews can keep pace with current industry demands is questionable, but Powell says, "We have an obligation to start making the steps" to facilitate change now.

"Allocation policy is simply not keeping pace with spectrum demands," Powell says. "It's entirely reactive," and carriers have few incentives to use spectrum efficiently, he says. Powell characterized current spectrum allocation as highly politicized and says that policy changes must allow for more flexible spectrum use, including promoting the use of secondary spectrum markets. "We will aggressively promote spectrum efficiency," Powell says.

Other areas that need reexamination include broadband policy and what, if any, government action is necessary to bring services quickly to consumers and stimulate the economy, he says. Separately, Powell called wireless service a viable option to landline residential service because it offers mobility, personalization and innovation in long-distance service.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/