Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on DO READ -- On centralized, distributed and absolutism -- and the thermodynamics of terrorism

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:29:49 -0400

From: Mary Shaw <mary.shaw () cs cmu edu>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Dave,

When Jim Morris first described this idea to me a couple of weeks ago, I got
something very different out of it -- namely a risk analysis heuristic
something like,

"When analyzing public safety risks, pay particular attention to
concentrations of releasable energy. Be especially vigilant about
opportunities to bring multiple concentrations together."

Examples of such concentrations include very tall buildings (potential
energy), large airplanes full of fuel (chemical energy with some kinetic
energy thrown in), high dams (potential energy), nuclear power plants.
snowpack of slopes with avalanche potential, earthquake zones and especially
high-energy structures in earthquake zones.

All the examples, of course, have other benefits and shortcomings.  The
energy heuristic doesn't speak to concentrations of humans at risk -- a tall
building full of people is a different proposition from a tall empty
building. We have seen a people-centered heuristic operating in the last
month as large gatherings were cancelled or protected.  This heuristic might
go,

"When analyzing public safety risks, pay particular attention to
concentrations of people. Be especially vigilant about situations in which
the people cannot effectively disperse"

This leads you to ask about occupied buildings that may take considerable
time to evacuate and to airplanes, where passengers and crew are captive
while in flight.

It's easy to add heuristics to the list . . .

"mechanisms for rapid propagation of threats" -- The US Postal Service is
highly distributed, but we are seeing how movement of envelopes can
distribute spores. We were already paying attention to public utilities. I
wonder whether the smallpox war game considered shutting down all intercity
transportation to contain the contagion?  My Dutch friends have told me that
they handled hoof/foot in mouth disease effectively with "ring vaccination"

"opportunities for destruction of public confidence" -- I agree with much
recent criticism in IP of the actual effectiveness of many airline security
measures.  However, to the extent that these measures actually increase
public confidence, they serve a purpose that we as technologists may not
fully appreciate.  Also, the recent anthrax attacks are taking toll on
public confidence that's out of proportion to the actual damage done (at
least thus far).

. . . and so on.

Avoidance isn't the only possible response, either.  Protection, robustness,
and mitigation are often good options, too.

I assume that considerations such as these guide the actual practice of
public safety, but I don't know how explicitly they appear or how
systematically they're evaluated.  We did miss on flying airplanes into the
WTC and on anthrax contamination of USPS facilities.

For me, an intrinsic characteristic of engineering is the requirement to
strike appropriate balances among conflicting goals.  So pursuing one
heuristic to the exclusion of all others is only very rarely, if ever,
appropriate.

Engineering also requires finding cost-effective solutions from among many
and diverse alternatives. Heuristics help to organize the solution search to
concentrate on good candidate solutions. They remind you to consider
possibilities that you might otherwise ignore.

Heuristics, like many engineering tools, can help a good (or even adequate)
engineer find better solutions more effectively. They are not a substitute
for actually understanding the problem and making sound judgments about
solutions.

Mary

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/