Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: AT&T Wireless Exits Fixed Arena

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:42:11 -0400

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note: This is a significant bit of news. I bet few of you knew that AT&T was even in the fixed broadband wireless business? As I've been predicting for some time, this year will see a number of major players fall out of the fixed broadband wireless business. So last week we had Sprint depart and now AT&T. DLH]

AT&T Wireless Exits Fixed Arena

AT&T Wireless is quitting the fixed-wireless business, saying the division just hasn't passed financial muster. According to the carrier's 3Q report released earlier today, its fixed-wireless business would have required significantly more money to gain the scale necessary for long-term success. The carrier says it will cut the division during the fourth quarter, and it will take a $1.3B pre-tax charge at that time. Reported by Reuters.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/