Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Buyer: Ground troops too risky; small, nuclear device an option

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 08:41:45 -0400

By Jeff Parrott, Journal and Courier

If it becomes clear that Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida network is behind the recent wave of anthrax cases, and it is hiding chemical or biological weapons in Afghanistan caves, U.S. Rep. Steve Buyer said they've "upped the ante" and he would support the use of nuclear weapons to destroy them. Buyer said he isn't advocating nuclear tactics. But if the Bush administration decides to go that route, it would have his backing. He planned to outline his thoughts in a letter to the administration.
A Gulf War veteran who returned home from that conflict with an illness caused by exposure to mustard and sarin gas, Buyer said Thursday that it's too risky to send large numbers of ground troops into mountain hideouts. Instead, small special operation forces could fight their way into caves and bunkers and plant timer-detonated tactical nuclear devices powerful enough to bring down entire mountains.

"These caves have catacombs that go deep into the mountains of Afghanistan," the Monticello Republican told the Journal and Courier. "Before we send special forces into these caves and try to flush people out, before we subject them to the chemical or biological toxins that might be contained inside, I would support collapsing these caves to seal them forever."

<snip>

http://www.lafayettejc.com/news20011019/200110191local_news1003494346.shtml

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/