Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Cellphones Spook Ghosts, Expert Says

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:26:40 -0400

From: "Mark White" <mark_white () eglobal net>
To: "'David Farber'" <dave () farber net>

Monday October 15 8:27 AM ET

Cellphones Spook Ghosts, Expert Says
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20011015/od/ghosts_dc_1.html

LONDON (Reuters) - Mobile phones are killing off ghosts, a British
expert who has spent years researching the occult said on Sunday.

Tony Cornell, of the Society for Psychical Research, told the Sunday
Express newspaper that reports of ghost sightings had started to decline
when mobile phones were introduced 15 years ago.

``Ghost sightings have remained consistent for centuries. Until three
years ago we'd receive reports of two new ghosts every week,'' said
Cornell, of Cambridge in Eastern England.

``But with the introduction of mobile phones 15 years ago, ghost
sightings began to decline to the point where now we are receiving
none.''

According to the paper, haunted tourist attractions in Britain could be
under threat if the number of cellphones continues to grow from the
present figure of 39 million

Apparently paranormal events, which some scientists put down to unusual
electrical activity, could be drowned out by the electronic noise
produced by phone calls and text messages.

For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/