Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Fwd: AT&T Wireless Prepaid -- a warning TO NON USA CARD HOLDERS

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:24:54 -0400

Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:50 +0100 (BST)
From: wendyg () cix compulink co uk (Wendy Grossman)
Subject: AT&T Wireless Prepaid -- a warning
To: dave () farber net

Last December, I bought an AT&T wireless prepaid phone in the 717 area
code (Harrisburg, PA) for use when I'm in the US.  I thought some IPers
might benefit from a few valuable lessons I have learned:

1)  It is impossible to refill the phone via the Internet using a credit
card with a foreign address even though the 3rd party payment company
AT&T uses accepts those addresses.  Transactions appear to go through,
but time does not appear on the phone.  The payment company nonetheless
had to actively cancel the transaction to keep me from being charged.

2)  It is impossible now to refill the phone by telephone using a credit
card with a foreign address.  It *was* possible to buy refills by
telephone using a credit card with a foreign address, but the company
had to send the transaction to "QA" or Quality Assurance, a shadowy
Orwellian name for fraud control, I guess.  It took a week to get AT&T
to admit that the reason time was not appearing on my phone despite
hours of phoned attempts was that they no longer accept "foreign" credit
cards.  Note that my credit cards aren't *actually* foreign -- they are
domestic cards issued in the US (Amex, Wells Fargo) with a foreign
billing address.

3)  In some cases, it is impossible to refill the phone by buying refill
cards at the nearest AT&T store.  In the San Francisco Bay Area, AT&T
recently bought a local supplier and chain of stores (Cellular One?)
that it has not yet integrated into its network.  These stores *cannot*
sell you a national prepaid wireless card, only a *local* prepaid
wireless card.  AT&T does not tell you this, either -- it is not on the
Web site, and the "customer care" telephone staff don't know it.  The
first of two AT&T stores I visited in the Bay Area didn't really know it
either -- they knew *they* couldn't sell it, but not that none of the
other local stores could.  The nearest place to buy national time for an
AT&T prepaid wireless phone is in Sacramento.

4)  Because of this lack of integration, people with national prepaid
wireless phones who travel to the Bay Area cannot make calls from their
phones in the usual way.  When you key in the number, you get a recorded
message asking you to key in the number.  If you key in the number a
second time at that prompt, the call will go through.

5)  It's anyone's guess how many other areas may have similar problems,
and the company can't or won't tell you.

6) You cannot use your mobile phone to call AT&T to buy time or request
support unless you have a credit balance on it.

I spent a week fighting with this nonsense and a 0 balance on my phone,
and the only way I finally got it resolved was to get a friend in LA to
buy a card for me and call in the numbers to my account.  I am
converting one of my credit cards to a US address, but it shouldn't be
necessary to do that:  it should be obvious that some of the people
using prepaid wireless phones are going to be people with foreign
addresses; it's ridiculous that they can't use the Internet payment
service.

wg

For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/