Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Eye on Emerson law suit

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 16:57:32 -0400

Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:45:23 -0400
From: "Paul Levy" <PLEVY () citizen org>
To: <dave () farber net>

Perhaps your readers would be interested in the following:

In a brief that was filed in Bergen County Superior Court today, with JC Salyer of the ACLU-New Jersey as local counsel, Public Citizen has entered the case of Donato v. Moldow, the case where a group of local officials in Emerson, New Jersey are suing both the creator of the web site "Eye on Emerson" and several dozen anonymous posters who criticized the officials on Moldow's web site. Several of the anonymous posters have found an attorney, who has moved to quash the subpoena seeking their identities, but the majority of the posters remain unrepresented.

In our amicus curiae brief, we argue that a plaintiff who seeks to identify anonymous internet speakers must meet the strict standards of Dendrite v. Doe - - basically showing that there is good reason to believe that they have a valid claim against each poster - - before a subpoena may be enforced, regardless of whether the poster has retained counsel to oppose the subpoena. That is to say, we argue that, like a judge who is considering whether to issue a search warrant, a judge has an independent duty to decide whether there has been an sufficient showing to warrant the exercise of state power to invade the poster's privacy. Thus, we argue that the judge should consider the claims against each anonymous defendant sua sponte - - especially in a case where the plaintiffs are public officials.

We also argue that the suit against the webmaster should be dismissed under the Communications Decency Act, addressing the issue somewhat more thoroughly than the webmaster's own lawyer has done in his brief. In this regard, we argue that Moldow's web site represents a gift to the community that other citizens, whether in Emerson or elsewhere, should want to emulate, and if such web site operators know that they will have to defend litigation of this kind anytime critical comments are placed on a web site bulletin board, no sane person would undertake to create such a desirable forum. Thus, Moldow's site is well within the concerns the Congress expressed about the impact of imposing liability on companies like AOL for any content that someone might place on the Internet using their facilities.

The brief is posted on our web site at http://www.citizen.org/litigation/briefs/IntFreeSpch/articles.cfm?ID=6271

Public Citizen's press release is posted at http://www.citizen.org/pressroom/release.cfm?ID=858

Paul Alan Levy
Public Citizen Litigation Group