Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on -- RAND and W3C (for IP if you like)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 01:55:03 -0400

From: "Daniel J. Weitzner" <djweitzner () w3 org>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: RAND and W3C (for IP if you like)
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 09:12:37 -0400

Dave,

W3C is in the midst of a very serious debate about the role of patents with
respect to Web standards. This article, however, doesn't really hit the
heart of the matter. The draft policy we've proposed replaces the current
confusion over patents with two options for new standards: either
Royalty-Free (with real teeth as opposed to today's hope that no one will
sue) or RAND (reasonable, non-discriminatory terms). The proposal that some
W3C standards might be RAND as opposed to Royalty-Free has, as the article
below notes, produced huge outcry from the Open Source community. In the
heat of the debate, I believe that many royalty-free proponents have lost
sight of the fact that the proposed policy creates much more legal certainty
around RF, but that's for readers to judge. As you know, RAND is quite
common in technical standards bodies (ISO, ANSI, even IETF) but raises big
questions in the Web context due to the Web's strong roots in the open
source environment.

I invite IPers to read the statement we've put out.

    http://www.w3.org/2001/10/patent-response (links to the draft policy
itself are in this document)

and consider commenting on the policy we're proposing. There's also a lively
discussion going on at Slashdot:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/10/08/1459240&mode=thread
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/09/30/1454216&mode=nested

At the request of a number of commenters from the Open Source community,
we've extended the comment deadline to 11 October 2001 and will circulate
another draft of our policy for comment before it is finalized.

Thanks,

Danny Weitzner
Chair, W3C Patent Policy Working Group

For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/