Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re: Not really -- MSFT deal dead?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 17:15:44 -0500

From: "Dave Winer" <dave () userland com>
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: IP-FLASH Not really --  MSFT deal dead?
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:14:13 -0800

Dave, the BBC changed their article.

At around 11AM Pacific it said that the Microsoft settlement had hit a
dead-end. The lead paragraph said it was over:

"Microsoft has given up its fight to uphold an antitrust settlement agreed
with the US government after six US states rejected the deal."

Later, puzzlingly, without explanation, it changed to what we see now.

The best theory I've heard so far comes from UserLand COO John Robb:
"Microsoft was just signalling to the government that if it wanted this
deal, it would have to put pressure on the states in a 'special' closed door
briefing where the anti-terrorist details of the deal were discussed.
Everyone will have to sign NDAs out the wazoo on pain of death. They went
after the fence sitters first. The rest will cave soon."

This is consistent with what Declan observes.

Dave

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/