Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: 11-06-01 -- Keep Customs Officers Accountable

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 04:52:31 -0500

TO: ACLU Action Network
FR: Jared Feuer, Internet Organizer
DT: November 6, 2001

Legislation being considered by Congress after the September terrorist attacks continues to revolve around the misguided perception that giving expanded, unchecked authority to those who enforce our laws will necessarily make us safer. A prime example is the new, "Customs Border Security Act," a bill originally meant to deal with U.S. Customs employee wage issues. The revised legislation now includes provisions that would not only weaken protections against racial profiling, other illegal searches, and undermine the right to privacy in personal correspondence, but would move toward making law enforcement agents accountable to no one but themselves.

To perform their duty of searching persons arriving in the United States for contraband, Customs officers have the extraordinary power to perform searches. These powers are not unlimited, however, and contain protections to check this authority for the protection of the innocent. The Customs Border Security Act would expand the immunity of Customs officials in ways that would make it nearly impossible for a person to seek redress for an unconstitutional search. Without this check, Customs officers would nearly become free agents without a mechanism to ensure that their powers are not abused.

Take Action! You can read more about this legislation and send a FREE FAX to your Representative from our action alert at:

http://www.aclu.org/action/customs107.html

---
You are currently subscribed to receive ACLU Action Updates.
You may cancel your subscription at any time by sending a message to aclu_members () mailmanager net with the word unsubscribe in the subject line. You may also send a notice to our listserv manager by replying to this message.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/