Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Making Windows Transparent By PAUL KRUGMAN

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 09:54:15 -0500

Anyone who has spent time trying to make sense of the Microsoft issue realizes that this is one case in which the cliché is true: there are no good answers, and all one can do is try to choose the lesser of several evils. I like the apparent settlement reached last week better than I liked the solution that Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson tried to impose last year, but I would be the first to admit that this answer has its own problems.

<snip>

One last complaint: Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly urged a quick settlement in light of "the recent tragic events affecting our nation." That's not a good reason for haste in an antitrust proceeding, and a positively bad reason to push a settlement that one must admit is rather friendly to the monopolist. There are already enough people in the executive and legislative branches of our government who think that the way to show national unity in these trying times is to give giant corporations whatever they want; let's not have the judicial branch joining the act.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/opinion/04KRUG.html

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/