Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: passport hacked

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 04:35:56 -0500

From: "Eric J. Glover" <eric () ericglover com>
To: "David Farber
Subject: Re: IP: passport hacked

What I find ironic is that I reported a potentially serious flaw with their passport authentication system about 8 months ago -- I even went so far as to tell a high-up manager of theirs, in person, at a conference -- and they still have not fixed it.

The other bug is that aparently Microsoft does not utilize a user's password in any way as part of the authentication process when you choose (on hotmail) "Keep me signed in to this and all other Passport sites unless I sign out." The consequences of this are significant. Although I have not actually attempted to steal another user's identity, I have (in the past) demonstrated that if you do save your password, then using a different machine tyou change your passsword, your first session is still valid (and can be recovered after quitting the browser). There is no user controled way to deactivate previously stored sessions (on a different host) -- hence your password (or any function of your password) is not part of the authentication process, or there is a more severe security hole that I do not yet fully understand.

A high up manager at a conference last May told me that he thought they had fixed the problem, and would pass on my issue to be sure -- well we all know the result of that discussion. This relates to the previous message to the IP list where Microsoft is trying to strong-arm companies into NOT reporting secuirty flaws till after they have fixed them -- so basically in the past 8 months any employee who had a hotmail account and left their job has given their bosses (or anyone with physical access to their machine) full, unrestricted access -- all because Microsoft has not fixed the problem.

Later,
Eric

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/