Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Fox TV: The scapegoat channel

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 13:19:12 -0500

From: "Bob Frankston" <BobRMF17 () Bobf Frankston com>
To: "Dave Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>

I was tuning through channels late last night (AKA this morning) and caught a segment on Fox TV that, unfortunately, was not a Daily Show parody. Too bad it is so hard to tell the difference. A more charitable view is to consider that they are just observing the old biblical ritual of using a scapegoat to find comfort by blaming them .

This particular segment was aimed at those taking the trains because they were afraid to fly. It was meant to remind us that trains were just as unsafe because they didn't have metal detectors and don t always check people's IDs before boarding. And worse there is a train simulator computer game that kids (AKA terrorists) can use to learn how to crash trains.

I fear the next segments:

* The dangers of taxis: Passengers are allowed to ride without a full security check. They don t even have to carry an ID to prove who they are. * The need for safety in subways. Why shouldn t we require all passengers arrive three hours early to be cleared before boarding the trains. It s one thing to complain about Amtrak which is in under a city for a short time. We should make sure that all passengers in a subway pass through x-ray machines. Same thing for highways in cities toll booths need to be enhanced with metal detectors. * The danger of naïve faith in IDs. Actually, I don t expect to see this segment since that would make it harder to sensationalize a complex issue and then close the segment with a simplistic solution. Just as the In Search of TV series created mysteries by ignoring solutions, these segments create certainty by ignoring the real issues.

At Comdex in Las Vegas there was security checking. Though many have argued that all the people at security checkpoints must be highly educated we were sniffed by trained dogs (same thing?). For some reason there were also metal detectors which were ignored I guess they are viewed as symbols of security whatever the reality is.

Bob Frankston
<http://www.frankston.com>http://www.Frankston.com

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/