Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: good idea -- re: The cure is only slightly worse than the disease...: [risks] Risks Digest 21.78

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 11:55:13 -0500

Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 11:31:29 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>

[Please note that the below constitutes sufficient disclosure of prior art to bar patenting the below inventions, because they are sufficient for one skilled in the relevant art to produce the inventions. It is my intention by this disclosure to place these innovations in the public domain. - David P. Reed]

Since one reader pointed out that one can use relatively low emissions to create a "fake cell" in a hospital or other RF-sensitive zone, here's a much more constructive suggestion:

To reduce cell-phone RF emissions, one need only tell the handsets to cut their radiated power. A small cellsite should be able to do exactly that, and also complete phone calls for the power-suppressed phones.

In addition, a small cellsite can do other useful things, in particular a great idea that was suggested originally by my friend Chunka Mui - it can place a "call" to ring each cell phone that comes within range, and when answered, tell the user to please shut off the phone.

Both of these functions would cost about the same as a "jammer" and would achieve much better effects, including allowing 911 calls through, etc.

- David
WWW Page: http://www.reed.com/dpr.html

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/