Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re U.S. Tech Firms Abusing Visa Program

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:59:31 -0500

From: "jcphome" <jcp () jcphome com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Absolutely correct.  A company I used to work for had something like 30%
H-1Bs at the end of last year.  This program is abused like heck here in the
Valley.  It was understandable when the unemployment rate was negative and
you couldnt get people other than H-1s (who didnt care about the cost of
housing) to move here, but it should be stopped now.  Given the number of
highly qualified people I know who've been laid off and are having problems
finding anything, its amazing any of these petitions are still being
approved except in really special cases.

There *is* a way to fight this however:

    Part of the H1b process is advertising the job.    This is called "Labor
Market Qualification" and you have to do it for F-1 (student work) visas as
well now.  The scam here is that they put little tiny ads in the San Jose
Mercury News with almost all the words abbreviated and in the smallest type
they can find.  Any resumes that appear in response to such an ad must be
"disqualified" and the INS apparently has access to this paperwork.  I
remember doing this a few times when I worked at Oracle (not the company I
mentioned above, although Oracle has a lot of H-1bs)

So, what everyone who's out of work should do is *answer every one* of those
ads that they're even remotely qualified (or overqualified) for.  You'll
make so much work for these companies, and leave such a long paper trail,
that eventually this program will be more trouble than its worth.  (keep a
record of which ads you respond to, and *follow up on the phone* with the HR
department of the company involved.  The ads have code numbers on them which
you should note down.)

You MIGHT get a job this way (we hired a couple people who did this
persistently at Oracle.  If an employer can show they hired a respondent for
a different position, that gets them off the hook as well).  You'll very
likely get an interview and that's hard these days.

Make them explain why you werent qualified for the job if they say that.
Prefereably in writing.  If they wont put it in writing, write down the name
of the person you're talking to, and the time and date and a summary of the
conversation.  Keep records.  Just doing this makes it much harder for
companines to give away jobs that should be going to people already here.

The important thing to remember is that they MUST disqualify you on some
rational basis.  And you're likely dealing with an HR flack, not a hiring
manager.  The hiring manager already knows who they want to hire and hopes
there wont be any resumes to respond to.

I think you can probably also file a complaint with the INS about a company
that persistently wont hire you.  You could certainly send a stack of
documentation to your Congressman and they'd likely be interested.

Always be polite.   Don't threaten anyone, don't accuse them of being
unAmerican or anything like that.  Just stick to the facts and write stuff
down.  You *may* end up working at one of these companies...

If I end up layed off again (could be the 3rd time in a year...), I may do
some of this myself...

Best regards,
  -jcp-