Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Rising Fears That What We Do Know Can Hurt Us

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 14:20:17 -0500

Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 13:14:52 -0500
Subject:  GOOD READ - Rising Fears That What We Do Know Can Hurt Us
From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

A very good read, if not on a very disturbing topic and chain of events.

rick
infowarrior.org

Rising Fears That What We Do Know Can Hurt Us

Information: The government is pulling back on previously shared data to
keep it from aiding terrorists.

 By ERIC LICHTBLAU, Times Staff Writer

WASHINGTON -- The document seemed innocuous enough: a survey of government
data on reservoirs and dams on CD-ROM. But then came last month's federal
directive to U.S. libraries: "Destroy the report."

So a Syracuse University library clerk broke the disc into pieces, saving a
single shard to prove that the deed was done.

The unusual order from the Government Printing Office reflects one of the
hidden casualties of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks: the public's shrinking
access to information that many once took for granted.

<SNIP>

Full story at:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-111801inform.story

For archives see: