Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Walter Karplus of UCLA dies

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 03:42:48 -0500

Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 20:39:07 -0800
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
From: Leonard Kleinrock <lk () cs ucla edu>
Subject: Walter Karplus of UCLA dies

Dave,

Walter Karplus of UCLA died a few days ago. It is a great loss to us. He and his work were well known, and I thought there would be a number of IP readers who would like to know of his passing. I have attached below the notice that appeared in the UCLA Daily Bruin.

Much thanks,

Len Kleinrock

Karplus leaves distinguished legacy

Longtime UCLA faculty member dies of cancer at age 74

Cool, calm and collected - these were words used to describe Walter Karplus, interim dean of the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science. Among his colleagues, Karplus was not only a leader, but a friend.

But after a long battle with lung cancer, Karplus, 74, died Sunday at his home.

"It was a shock to all of us," said Chand Viswanathan, chair of the UC Academic Senate and a former UCLA professor of electrical engineering who knew Karplus for 43 years.

"Like everybody else, I am feeling very sad," Viswanathan continued. "He was a good man - a gentle man. It's a great loss to UCLA as well as to his friends."

A faculty member for more than 40 years, Karplus took the position of interim dean for the School of Engineering when Frank Wazzan stepped down in July.

Karplus chaired the computer science department from 1972-79 and was president of the Computer Simulation Laboratory. He served for many years as director of the Center for Experimental Computer Science at UCLA.

Karplus was known among his peers for his intelligence, dependability and calm demeanor.

"He had a wit that was unsurpassed," said professor of computer science Leonard Kleinrock. Karplus was key in "smoothing out differences in the department politics," Kleinrock said.

A pioneer in the engineering school and computer science research, Karplus employed virtual reality, which allowed doctors to observe blood flow through aneurysms deep inside the human brain.

Karplus' expertise was sought by several government agencies and was often called upon as an expert witness in computer-related cases. He held scientific positions with Hughes Aircraft Company, International Geophysics and Sun Oil.

His plethora of awards include a Fulbright Fellowship, a Guggenheim Fellowship, the Senior Scientific Award of the Society for Computer Simulation, the Silver Core Award of the International Federation for Information Processing and an Achievement Award from NASA.

Outside of UCLA, Karplus served as a director of the American Federation of Information Processing Societies. He was also president of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Neural Networks Council in 1995 and 1996.

Karplus wrote a number of articles, editorials and books, including "The Heavens are Falling: The Scientific Predictions of Catastrophes in our Time."

Aside from researching and teaching, Karplus enjoyed coin collecting, trips to Las Vegas and playing poker games while exchanging views on politics and philosophy with colleagues.

"This was a charming gentleman ... he was caring, never confrontational," said Kleinrock, who first met Karplus during his interview for an assistant professor position.

"People went to him for advice and for a sense of stability," Kleinrock said.

A nature lover and frequent traveler, Karplus traveled throughout Europe as a lecturer, enjoying hikes into the Himalayas.

Born in Vienna, Austria, Karplus earned degrees from Cornell University and the University of California.

He is survived by his wife, Takako, and two children, Maya and Tony.

"It's an unthinkable loss," Kleinrock said. "He was the soul of our department and the ultimate source of wisdom and good judgement from which we all benefitted. He was a classy gentleman and it exuded in each pore of his body."

A memorial service will be held 3 p.m. Nov. 25 in the James West Alumni Center. In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that donations be made to the American Cancer Society.

By Marjorie Hernandez
Daily Bruin Reporter

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/