Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re: Software Engineering, Dijkstra, and Hippocrates: ]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 01:39:06 -0400

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 17:03:49 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: Brad Cox <bcox () virtualschool edu>
Subject: Re: IP: Software Engineering, Dijkstra, and Hippocrates: [risks]

Subject: Software Engineering, Dijkstra, and Hippocrates
In it, he states "I would therefore like to posit that computing's central
challenge 'How not to make a mess of it,' has *not* been met."

Its worse even than that. We haven't even started down the road that
mechanical or civil engineers followed to achieve their vaunted
maturity. We don't even seem to think that this road is even
applicable to software engineering. I'm referring to Open Source and
the angst on this list whenever someone proposes to take intellectual
property rights seriously.

Imagine a Honda engineer proposing to mine his own ore and refine his
own steel, or a civil engineer proposing a new home-brewed kind of
concrete. But building from first principles is routine for "software
engineers". Why? Being made of bits and not atoms, software can be
copied so easily it undercuts the market economics that underlie the
maturity of other domains.

See the link in the signature for my modest efforts to change this.
--
---
For industrial age goods there were checks and credit cards.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/