Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A quote from the NY Times -- Five Questions for Gordon E. Moore Technology Intensifies the Law of Change EDUCATION in the USA

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 01:12:18 -0400

Answers by Gordon Moore . I agree with Gordon!! djf

Q. What do you see as the most prominent threats to United States economic
dominance in the future?

A. I have a concern that we're not training enough of the U.S. population
to maintain our technical lead. Our outstanding universities, which are
the envy of the world, are training half foreign-born students who are
going back to where they came from. I see our tech companies taking
advantage of well-trained people in other countries. But we're in danger
of exporting a lot of technological advantage because we're not training
enough people here. Education, that's our Achilles' heel.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/27/technology/27FIVE.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/