Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Clinton Introduces Tech Proposals

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 11:38:11 -0500

******** www.cybertelecom.org **********

March 1, 2001
Senator Clinton Introduces First Legislation: New Jobs for New York
http://www.senate.gov/~clinton/news/2001/03/2001301710.html

Creating Opportunities and Revitalizing the Economy In Upstate New York And
Other Regions Of The Country

Washington, DC ­ Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton today introduced her first
legislation ­ a package of seven bills designed to spur job growth in
upstate New York and around the nation. New Jobs for New York fulfills
Senator Clinton's pledge to make her plan for the upstate economy her first
legislative effort.

"With a proud place in the economic history of our country, upstate New York
deserves its place in the economic future of our country. My legislation is
designed to help bring all of New York to the forefront of the 21st century
economy," Senator Clinton said. Noting new statistics that show job growth
upstate lagging behind the state as a whole and the nation, she added, "No
parent should have to see a child leave his or her hometown simply because
good jobs can't be found."

The bills in Senator Clinton's legislative package are supported by a
bipartisan group of Senators from all over the country.

The seven components of Senator Clinton's New Jobs for New York plan are:

* Small Business Jobs Credit: This initiative will focus on smaller
communities by targeting approximately 100 cities and towns throughout the
nation that are losing population and have low job growth rates and high
poverty rates.

* Technology Bonds: Localities will be allowed to use a new type of tax
incentive, Technology Bonds, to expand high-speed Internet access in their
communities.

* Broadband Expansion Grant Initiative of 2001: Complements Tech Bonds by
accelerating private-sector deployment of broadband networks in under-served
rural communities. Right now many families have to make long distance calls
to connect to Internet.

* Broadband Rural Research Investment Act of 2001: Supports additional
investments at the National Science Foundation for research in new broadband
technology to increase services in remote and rural areas.

* Technology Extension Act of 2001: Provides small and medium-sized
businesses with a technology extension program that provides the latest
technology to improve productivity and promote economic growth.

* Entrepreneurial Incubators: Helps entrepreneurs who have good ideas but
cannot afford lawyers and consultants to access the help they need with
legal complexities such as preparing corporate charters, partnership
agreements, contracts, patent and intellectual property rules, and basic
marketing strategies.

* Regional Skills Alliances: Brings businesses, schools, and community
colleges together to help create effective programs to ensure workers have
the training needed to compete in the new economy.

"As we all know, an historic shift has taken place in our economy. To
succeed in the 21st century economy, businesses must be more innovative,
creative and flexible; workers must have better education and training; and
community leaders must bring all sectors - government, academia, business --
together to make their hometowns more hospitable to high tech industries,"
Senator Clinton said. "My New Jobs for New York plan will help bring more
New Yorkers and more Americans online and into the 21st century economy by
promoting entrepreneurship and innovation and by knocking down the most
stubborn barriers to economic progress in our state and nation."

"We are facing an economic slowdown that could be devastating to places like
Upstate New York if we do not act now to give them the tools to succeed in
the new economy. I believe we can create new jobs in upstate New York if we
start now with the right tax incentives and programs," Senator Clinton said.
"I intend to fight for these measures with a bipartisan coalition in New
York and in Congress."

Senator Clinton said her legislative plan is part of a long-term, overall
approach to bringing more economic growth to Upstate New York and other
regions of the country. "The fight for new jobs for New York will be a long
one. I do not expect everything in this plan to pass in one year alone, or
in the exact form in which it is introduced. And standing alone, no single
plan will get the job done," Senator Clinton said. "We need a long-term
partnership between people in government at all levels and people in
businesses, labor unions, schools and universities and community groups
across New York and across the country."

The thirteen Senators who have co-sponsored one or more of Senator Clinton's
bills include: Max Baucus (D-MT), Jeff Bingaman (D-NM), Barbara Boxer
(D-CA), Jon Corzine (D-NJ), Mark Dayton (D-MN), Christopher J. Dodd (D-CT),
Edward Kennedy (D-MA), Patrick Leahy (D-VT), Joe Lieberman (D-CT), Barbara
Mikulski (D-MD), Jay Rockefeller (D-WV), Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and Olympia
Snowe (R-ME).

Tomorrow morning, Senator Clinton will leave for a two-day, six city upstate
New York tour to discuss her legislation with upstate New Yorkers.

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/