Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Article: The Hard Questions in Broadband Policy (intro)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:49:41 -0500

From: Andy Oram <andyo () OREILLY COM>
Subject:      Article: The Hard Questions in Broadband Policy (intro)

I interviewed several people on this list for this article,
along with other people, some of whom may be new to you.--Andy

http://www.webreview.com/pi/2001/03_23_01.shtml

   March 23, 2001 > Platform Independent

The Hard Questions in Broadband Policy

   By Andy Oram

     Broadband policy is on everybody's agenda today, but the hard questions
                                        are being addressed by only a few.

   During a period of life most people try to forget, I learned from my
   high school teachers the key to academic success: how to score well on
   standardized tests. "Answer the easy questions first," they said, "then

   This is not a bad strategy for policy makers, either. It is the route
   taken by Congress, the Federal Communications Commission, and advocates
   for Internet service providers in opening up new possibilities in
   broadband. They decide such general questions as "Should all providers
   have access to cable networks?" and leave the thorny issues of
   oversight, cost, and equitability for later.

   But maturity has taught this former high school student some tough
   lessons. There is no intellectual training comparable to 20 years of
   showing technical documents to computer engineers who rip them to
   shreds, plus five years of showing policy papers to law professors who
   rip them to shreds. I've found I can't hide from the hard questions.

   So in this article I will focus on the hard questions that I see as
   remaining to be answered in broadband. And I'll start from the top,
   with the questions that are most difficult--because these are the ones
   that generate the most points for the right answers.

1. How do we provide truly universal access to symmetric broadband?