Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: "Political Dynamite" Fails to Explode: Extreme proposals of Treasury'sO'Neil

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 04:13:38 -0400

From: "Nathan Cochrane" <nathan_cochrane () hotmail com>

To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: IP: "Political Dynamite" Fails to Explode: Extreme proposals of
Treasury'sO'Neil

Hi Dave

O'Neill's comments sent a chill down my spine.

It seems what he suggests is exactly what we have now in Australia, the
Goods and services tax (GST). His phrasebook parrots almost word for word
what we have heard in the last few years. What we have now is a
fustercluck end-to-end.

The GST was originally sold as a "simplified tax system". How can
collecting taxes from 300 million people be easier than from a few
thousand companies? It is a dead weight on the economy and a constant
source of anxiety for individual taxpayers.

I checked our databases covering all major newsmedia in Australia,
including the big broadsheets, financial journals, and daily tabloids. I
could find only one story that mentioned O'Neill's remarks, in the tabloid
Daily Telegraph Mirror. That paraphrased the original FT story, but left
out the juiciest bits (probably lopped off by a sub-editor).

In Australia, taxes for corporations are entirely optional. This is
largely due to the influence of tax-free havens and the workings of the
Big-Five accounting firms who use transfer pricing to slip out of their
obligations. The GST was enacted to shift the tax burden to individuals
and away from big companies. It has been said that the GST has sent
thousands of small businesses and individuals to the wall as cash flow
evaporated. The Reserve Bank credits the it with stalling the economy. The
Labor opposition said the tax has "mugged the economy".

The "New Tax System" (official legislative title) has been widely
criticised by taxpayer, welfare, elderly, charity, unions, contractors,
home buyers, farmers, small business, accounting and virtuall every other
group as confusing, costly and poorly handled. It is hard to remember a
time when a government has succeeded in alienating so many groups
simultaneously.

The Federal Government looks set to lose the next election, in big part
because of the GST. It has already lost several crucial by-elections
leading up to the poll in December, all cited the GST as a major factor.

The ruling Liberal-National party coalition has tried to buy the votes of
the elderly with tax cuts in the recent budget, but those groups don't
seem impressed. They say the average pensioner is at least $300 a year
worse off after the GST. In a celebrated incident recently an elderly
retired gentleman grabbed the PM's hand while he was on the hustings in a
local shopping mall and in front of a quiver of reporters and cameramen,
asked the PM why he had "lied" to him?

And even the government acknowledges the GST is a big part of its woes. A
confidential leaked document from Liberal Party president (the ruling
party) Shane Stone said the government and Prime Minister is seen by its
own MPs and the public as "tricky", "mean", "dysfunctional", and "out of
touch". The government was accused of hurting the people who put it into
power. The five-page document published in The Bulletin magazine (a
financial and political magazine owned by Australia's wealthiest man) in
May blasted Treasurer Peter Costello, the GST's architect.

"you PM and Costello in particular, have gone out of your way to
antagonise our traditional support base," Stone wrote. "Perhaps one of the
most telling and recurring comments centred on the view that we have gone
out of our way to `get' the very people who put us there."

There is an easier solution. Rather than increase the burden on
individuals and take it away from corporations, the opposite should be the
case. The US government maintains a watch list of terrorist countries. Why
not do the same for countries who aid companies dodging their tax
responsibilities? These companies are engaging in a form of financial
terrorism more destructive than blowing up the Alfred P. Murrah Federal
Building. Their actions threaten the fabric of society by cutting off the
lifeblood of the government that enables it to fulfill its functions.

Many companies are registered in tiny South Pacific Atolls or other tax
havens to avoid paying tax. The answer should be to deny these companies
the privilege to sell their goods and services to the citizens of
democratic countries such as the US or Australia. Why should companies be
rewarded by access to the people who they are hurting?

If Bush and O'Neill implement a similar policy to Australia's, branded by
its own ruling party as "mean", "tricky" and "dysfunctional", I think we
can add "stupid" to the list of US Government attributes. But that's
something to which you Yanks have already grown accustomed, isn't it?

I also found this from Bloomberg:

How a second-rate CEO can still `clean up'

COMMENT

Byline: GRAEF CRYSTAL, SOURCE: BLOOMBERG

Somebody had better keep an eye on United States Treasury Secretary Paul
O'Neill. Judging by his past behavior, he has an imperfect grasp of finance.

At the end of 1993, when O'Neill was chief executive of Alcoa Inc, he
wrote to me about a study I did that appeared in Worth magazine. The
results put him in the unenviable category of CEOs who combined low
performance with high pay.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/