Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Entering a "Telecom Dark Ages"?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 17:11:09 -0400

Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 12:56:10 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: Einar Stefferud <stef () nma com>
Subject: Re: IP: RE: Entering a "Telecom Dark Ages"?
Cc: David Prior <DPrior () pbimedia com>

Hi Daves;-)...

It is one of the basic tenets (though not widely known) of the Internet
Business Model that collaboration is the basis of wide ranging success, to
some extent caused by the way the Internet has reshaped the way users pay
for their connectivity services.  The rest is part of the way IP
technology was designed.
The Internet breaks when any of our service providers try to divide and
conquer.

The good news is that in due course, over time, they will all learn their
lessons about collaborating.  The bad news is that "due course" may not be
in our life times.  But, no matter, civilization will muddle through, as
it always does.  If the computer had not been invented, the world
population would just not know what it was missing, and life would go on
without computers.

But, back to the present;-)...

Every Internet End User pays their own fees to their own ISP for all
traffic in both directions to reach "The Middle Of The Net" where ever
that may be.  If two customers are connected to the same local Service
Provider, then the "Middle" is inside that service provider's
facilities.  This is how old fashioned local (toll free) telephone service
is structured, where-in, both caller and called parties pay for their half
of the connection service.  This is not a new idea in telephony.  Just and
old forgotten fact.

If the sender/receiver pair are more distant, then the "middle" moves out
into the longer distance backbone carriers, who all charge their service
provider customers for carrying all their traffic in both directions, just
like the local customers pay.  The backbone carriers gain from the way
that the costs of bandwidth decrease as "VOLUME" increases, so they gain
from the ability to bundle and multiplex traffic.

But, they are all paid to carry traffic in both directions for all their
customers, regardless of directional imbalances!  (Well, some customers
buy Asymmetrical DSL, because their traffic will never be symmetric, and
it apparently costs less to provision for asymmetry. This also eases the
problems of provisioning for service providers so it makes sense all around.

So, when Cable and Wireless decided to cut off PSI for reasons of
asymmetric traffic at their peering point, they are telling all of us that
they do not understand the Internet Business Model!

They are failing to honor their commitments to their other customers to
deliver traffic that they have paid to have delivered, on both sides of
their peering point.  It is extremely rare for any user or ISP to be able
to balance traffic in both directions between any two points, as mail from
A to B forwards many more packets than the protocols send backward as
acknowledgments, and HTTP requests to Web sites always result in a larger
flood of returned traffic.

So, Cable and Wireless shorted its own customers to spite PSI.  I expect
that it was Cable and Wireless's own customer complaints that caused Cable
and Wireless to restore the peering service, because in fact, Cable and
Wireless has contracted with its paying customers to carry all their
traffic in both directions to where ever it is addressed, and it is Cable
and Wireless's responsibility to so deliver.

So, I expect that this Internet Paradigmatic Business Model shift is part
of what David Prior is talking about.  Actually it is a very simple shift,
with huge consequences.  And it is a shift that surprisingly few people in
the industry seem to grasp.  Maybe the timer has come for this to become
common knowledge, rather than a secret known by only a few of us.

The bottom line here is that I, as a customer, pay my ISP to deliver my
outbound traffic to the rest of the net, and to deliver all traffic to me
that is directed to me by anyone else anywhere on the net.  If my ISP does
not do this, I will soon be seeking another ISP, or finding some other way
to work around the problem, because partial access is just not what I want
to buy and pay for!

So, carrier collaboration is the nexus of the new business model, and
those who are not able to collaborate, will be weeded out in due course;-)...

Cheers...\Stef