Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Risks in Web services

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 04:17:02 -0400

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:28:38 -0700
From: Dan Gillmor <dgillmor () sjmercury com>
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Risks in Web services

http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/opinion/dgillmor/dg061001.htm

Largely without our understanding of the consequences, or even knowledge
that it's happening, we're moving functionality and data to the center
of networks. And as we hand control -- if not outright ownership -- to
third parties, we're taking some big chances.

All this is taking place, somewhat perversely, just when the devices at
the edge of networks are surging in intelligence and capability. We
should be using them to increase the power of individuals at the edge,
not cede it to the center.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/