Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: scratch Office XP

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 17:51:34 -0400

Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:40:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: John Wharton <jwharton () best com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: scratch Office XP

Dave--

... Seems they had to return the batch they gotsince they wee "all
scratched" Sounds like poor QC.

Reminds me of an embarrassing incident we had at Intel in the late
1970s.  There was a major new update to ISIS-II, Intel's proprietary
development systems' OS, and each of the many hundreds of registered
users was sent a free upgrade on an 8" floppy disk.  (Back then, of
course, floppies really were floppy, or at least could be folded in
half if you weren't careful.)

What each of the customers received was the floppy disk itself, the
paper protective sleeve it came in, and a cover memo identifying the
new features and bug fixes -- all securely stapled into one bundle.

Never mind the data corruption due to the staple holes in the media;
the little jagged bumps on the surface they created could scratch
the read heads and tear up the felt pressure-pads.  And this was
back when a replacement 8" floppy drive would cost three or four
hundred dollars!

  --john wharton

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/