Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Silicon Valley dark humor.... REAL DARK

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 17:28:07 -0400

Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 13:48:03 -0700
To: dave () farber net, laubach () matmos com
From: "Suzanne M. Johnson" <sjohnson () pobox com>
Subject: Silicon Valley dark humor....

Dot-com Diary

 January 2000:

 Moved to Silicon Valley for a job.

 My salary is 30% higher!

 I have stock options!

 The temperature outside is 65F in winter!

 California is the best place on earth!!!

 February:

 Still looking for an apartment.

 Freeways everywhere to take you places.

 Still love California!

 March:

 Found a one-bedroom apartment for $1900/mo.

 California is more expensive than I thought.

 April:

 Gas hit $2.29/gal.

 Somebody stole the gas from my car.

 This sucks....

 May:

 A small earthquake!

 And this is what my mother was so worried about?

 Almost didn't feel it.

 June:

 A forest fire and a mud slide near LA.

 Who cares, this is far away from me!

 July:

 A big earthquake...

 Spent 4 hours trapped in an office.

 Boy, that was scary.

 We had no lousy earthquakes where I came from.

 August:

 Drought!  They turn on the water once a day.

 This sucks big time!

 Somebody stole the water from my car's radiator.

 Why did I come to California?

 September:

 Decided to buy a house.

 Found a two-bedroom fixer-upper for $800K.

 Borrowed against my stock options for the down payment.

 Freeway traffic is worse.  Today it took nearly two hours.  One-way.

 October:

 My startup fired 90% of the work force, including me.

 The stock lost 98% of its value.

 My options are underwater.

 November:

 Had to sell my house.  Couldn't make the payments.

 Found a studio apartment for $2300/mo.

 Traffic unbearable.

 December:

 Problems with electricity.

 They turn the electricity off several times a day.

 It's called "rolling blackouts".

 Someone stole my car battery.  What do I do now?

 January 2001:

 I'm typing this, stuck in an elevator, in complete darkness.
 The battery of my laptop is dying.

 Silicon Valley is no more.  Angry hordes of former dot-commers are
 looting in the dark.

 It was fun while it lasted.

 I'm coming back home.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/