Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RIAA comment on Felten lawsuit and the EFF comment on the RIAA comment

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 16:24:18 -0400

Statement by RIAA's Cary Sherman on Felten Lawsuit
Professor Felten's decision to sue the RIAA and the SDMI Foundation is
inexplicable. We have unequivocally and repeatedly stated that we have no
intention of bringing the professor, or the Electronic Frontier Foundation,
would have preferred that we sue in order to keep their publicity machine
running. Since we've said we have no issue with the publication of the
Felten paper, they now resort to suing us to keep this issue alive.

and

EFF Reply to RIAA Statement Regarding Felten Case
June 6, 2001

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) and the plaintiffs have filed
Felten v. RIAA because the RIAA threatened the scientific process. RIAA
currently claims that they "have no intention of bringing a lawsuit against
Professor Felten or his colleagues". However, RIAA attorneys spent nearly a
month on the phone threatening litigation against everyone associated with
publishing the research paper and demanding changes to the research paper.
RIAA attorneys only started issuing press statements to the contrary after
they succeeded in squelching the research paper (see the complaint. Verance
has never indicated a willingness to allow publication of the research paper.

EFF and the plaintiffs seek not only publication of this research paper
without fear of prosecution, but a clear legal determination that no one
needs the permission of the record companies before publishing and
presenting scientific work.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/