Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: HERE WE GO AGAIN -- THE ARMS RACE: HOW QUICKLY COULD THE US RESUME TESTING?: What's New for Jun 29, 2001

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:17:03 -0400

4. THE ARMS RACE: HOW QUICKLY COULD THE US RESUME TESTING?  The
Bush administration is questioning the nine-year moratorium on
testing nuclear weapons.  Vice-President Cheney and Secretary of
Defense Rumsfeld argue that the safety and potency of our arsenal
can be assured only by periodic underground tests of randomly
selected warheads.  That claim has been made for over 20 years,
but rarely, if ever, has such a test actually been conducted, and
no weapons have been retrofitted or taken out the arsenal as a
result of a random test. Priority in weapons testing is given to
the development of new weapons. Some weapons scientists in the US
are arguing for micronukes, while the Russians are threatening to
MIRV their missiles if we go ahead with a missile defense.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/